Vision and Hearing Screening
As required by Texas law, students in pre-k, kindergarten, first, third, fifth and seventh grades, and new students enrolling in the district will be screened for vision and/or hearing problems.
Bryan ISD conducts spinal screenings to detect signs of abnormal curves of the spine at their earliest stages.
- State law requires all children in fifth and eighth grades to be screened.
- The procedure for screening requires trained screeners, Bryan ISD nurses, to look at the student’s back while the student stands and then bends forward.
- Boys and girls will be seen separately and individually.
- Two screeners are present for each student. We assure you that privacy will be of the utmost concern and priority.
- BOYS WILL BE REQUESTED TO REMOVE THEIR SHIRTS. GIRLS ARE REQUESTED TO WEAR A BRA OR THE TOP OF A TWO PIECE SWIMSUIT UNDER THEIR SHIRT. THEIR SHIRT WILL ONLY BE REMOVED DURING THEIR INDIVIDUAL SCREENING.
- Parents will receive the results of the screening only if professional follow-up is needed.
- This procedure does not replace your need for regular health care and check-ups.
- If the parent chooses for the student to not participate in the screening, the student must provide a written statement from his/her physician giving the school the results of the physician’s finding for that school year.
- If, for religious reasons, the student does not wish to be screened, the student is to submit an affidavit of exemption, notarized, to the school clinic.