Bryan ISDChildren First. Always.

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Health Services » Medications


Medicine at School

Bryan Independent School District School Board policy FFAC states that designated employees of the school district may give medication (includes prescription and/or over-the-counter medications) to a student provided:

  • There is a written note from the parent/guardian of the child, requesting the time and amount of medicine to be given. Verbal consent is not accepted.
  • The medicine is in the original container and properly labeled.
  • The medicine is brought to the school clinic staff by the parent/guardian. School staff will not administer medications brought by students.
  • Students are allowed to possess and use over-the-counter, topical sunscreen while on school property or at school-related events or activities

For the safety of ALL students:

  • Students may not carry any medication on school grounds or the school bus. Exceptions will be made for asthma inhalers, Epi-pens, and diabetic supplies for students who have proper doctor permission on file in the clinic.
  • Over-the-counter medication will not be stored in the school clinic for more than 10 days without a doctor’s note.
  • Over-the-counter medication will be given according to the package instructions for use unless a doctor prescription is provided to clinic staff.
  • Parent/guardians must pick up unused medication from clinic staff. Medication will not be sent home with the student.
  • Any medication remaining in the clinic not picked up the parent/guardian will be destroyed after the end of the last day of classes.
  • Vitamins, herbal supplements, or health food supplements will not be administered unless prescribed by a physician and required by the student’s Individualized Education Plan or Section 504 plan for a student with disabilities.
  • The school does not keep stock medications.

If medication must be taken during school hours, please follow the guidelines listed below:

  • Medications ordered twice daily, the first dose should be given at home before the child leaves for school and the second after returning from school.
  • Medications ordered three or four times daily, only the second dose will be given at school.
  • Any Aspirin Products, Adult or extra strength over-the-counter medication, such as (Aspirin, Pepto-Bismol, Aleve, Advil, Excedrin, etc.) will not be given to students without a doctor’s prescription.
  • For all long-term medication, a Bryan Independent School District Medication Administration Record must be completed by the student’s parents and kept in the school clinic. These forms are available in the school clinic.
  • Sample medication provided by a physician can be administered when the medication is accompanied by a written order for the medication from the student’s health care provider AND written permission from the child’s parent/guardian.

Asthma Inhalers

A student may possess and self-administer asthma inhalers on school property or at a school-related event with the following in place:

  • The student has written permission from a parent/guardian and a physician or licensed health care provider.
  • The physician statement (Asthma Action Plan) must be kept in the school clinic.
  • The physician statement (Asthma Action Plan) is updated or revised within one year.
  • Students who do not use their asthma medication for their own use and/or allow other students access to their medication will be subject to disciplinary action as specified in the Bryan ISD Student Code of Conduct.

Psychotropic Drugs

A psychotropic drug is a substance used in the diagnosis, treatment, or prevention of a disease or as a component of a medication. It is intended to have an altering effect on perception, emotion, or behavior and is commonly described as a mood- or behavior-altering substance.

Teachers and other district employees may discuss a student’s academic progress or behavior with the student’s parents or another employee as appropriate; however, they are not permitted to recommend use of psychotropic drugs. A district employee who is a registered nurse, an advanced nurse practitioner, a physician, or a certified or credentialed mental health professional can recommend that a student be evaluated by an appropriate medical practitioner, if appropriate.