Each year, the referral window opens on the first day of school and remains open until the end of September. During the fall open nomination window parents, teachers, students or any adult familiar with a particular student's abilities in the classroom may refer the student for testing if they believe the student exhibits characteristics indicating giftedness.
A second referral window is open during the month of January for students who enroll in Bryan ISD after September 30th or for any non-enrolled students who reside in the attendance boundaries but attend private schools or in-home schooling.
All referrals may be submitted by turning in the referral form to the child's campus. The form is available at campuses or on the Advanced Academic website.
Fall Referral Quick Tips
- Students may be referred for assessment if they are in grades 1-11 and are enrolled at a BISD campus.
- The fall referral window is open every year during the entire month of September.
- Communication of the referral window occurs via campus and district websites, campus newsletters, or messages sent by the district.
- Referrals are submitted by turning in the form to the campus by parent/guardians, teachers, and other professional personnel or adults.
- Consent to be tested must be provided by the parent when anyone other than a parent makes the nomination.
- Students will only be evaluated for GT services once per the calendar year.
Spring Referral Quick Tips
- To be eligible for the spring referral window, a student must:
- Have enrolled in BISD as a K-11 student after September 30th.
- Be a private/home-schooled student who lives in the BISD attendance zone during the referral window and plans to enroll in BISD for the following year.
- Be eligible to enter the first grade (six years old by September 1).
- Communication of the spring referral window is provided through the district website.
- Parents of home school and private school students will be required to submit proof of residency documents during the referral process.
- Teachers and counselors do not refer during this window unless the student enrolled after September 30th.
- Students cannot be referred/evaluated if the student was previously evaluated for GT services during the previous fall semester. Students may only be referred/evaluated once per year.